1 roasted red pepper - deseeded
1 tsp caraway seeds – toasted
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 clove garlic
1 tsp cayenne
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
½ cup sherry vinegar
Kosher salt to taste.
- Puree all ingredients together and reserve.
6 x 4oz portions of sockeye salmon.
White sugar and sea salt – a little pinch of each to sprinkle on the salmon.
Ras el hanout salmon rub – enough to dust on 6 salmon portions.
- Place the salmon on a large plate and sprinkle a big pinch each of salt and sugar liberally on each portion.
- Let sit at room temperature for about an hour.
- Preheat oven to 215 degrees F.
- Cook the rice (see below).
- Once rice is resting off the heat, cook the salmon.
- Pat the salmon dry and place on a parchment lined baking tray.
- Sprinkle Ras Al Hanout spice rub liberally over the salmon and place in oven for 10-15 minutes until little white bits of protein appear on the sides. Remove immediately.
- Place the rice on 6 plates, drizzle vinaigrette around and place salmon on rice. Garnish with cilantro
Saffron Almond Rice
2 cups water
Pinch of saffron
½ cup chopped onion
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 cup long grain rice
½ cup sliced toasted almonds
Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Bring water to a simmer in a small pot and crumble saffron in. Remove from heat and reserve.
- In another pot, sweat the onion in olive oil until golden.
- Add rice to the onion pot and toast until lightly golden.
- Add saffron water and almonds, simmer on low until liquid has evaporated (about 18 minutes), cover with a lid and let sit while you cook the salmon. Fluff with a fork before serving.